by Tracy Kapela
on Monday, August 26th, 2019 at 2:23pm.
Celebrate National Dog Day (August 26 officially, but you can celebrate any day really!) and bring your doggo to any of the eight off-leash dog parks that the City of Madison offers! There are four on the east side and four on the west side, with each park varying in size and offerings. A dog license and dog park permit are required at all locations.
1. Warner Park 2301 Sheridan Dr. Bag dispenser & benches available This dog park is very large, comprising of a separate small dog & geriatric dog area, open grass space, woods with trails, many picnic table areas, and a lagoon for swimming. The water in the lagoon is not tested by Public Health Madison & Dane County.
2. Demetral Park 2297 Commercial Ave. Bag dispenser & benches available Conveniently located on the near east side in the Emmerson East neighborhood, this dog park offers a small field and a couple picnic tables.
3. McCormick Park 702 N. McCormick Ave. Bag dispenser & benches available Less than a mile east of Demetral Park, you can find the McCormick Dog Park next to the McCormick Community Garden. This dog park has a long, narrow field with shade trees and a couple picnic tables.
4. Sycamore Park 4517 Sycamore Ave. Bag dispenser & benches available This large dog park has a separate small dog & geriatric dog area, a grassy field surrounded by prairie and trails, and picnic tables scattered throughout.
5. Brittingham Park 326 S. Broom St. Bag dispenser, water fountain & benches available Newly updated in August of 2019, this small downtown dog park is the only one with artificial turf lawn and a “sandbox” for the dogs that like to dig. There are shade trees and picnic tables on both ends of the park.
6. Quann Park 1802 Quann-Olin Pkwy. Bag dispenser & benches available The Quann Dog Park is very large and pulls double duty, serving as an overflow parking area and event space for the Alliant Energy Center. The grassy areas are divided by roads, and the perimeter trail offers a long walking option.
7. Odana School Park 678 S. Segoe Rd. Bag dispenser & benches available Behind the Westgate Mall, this medium sized dog park has a separate small dog & geriatric dog area, a couple shade trees and picnic tables. The dog park has expanded to cover the area where the soccer field used to be.
8. Walnut Grove Park 202 N. Westfield Rd. Bag dispenser & benches available Just north of the Walnut Grove Park shelter, this dog park offers a medium-sized field with shade trees scattered throughout, a couple picnic tables, and a small tall-grass prairie on the north end.