Listing your home doesn't require an overwhelming amount of work up front. You can plan and prepare, with enough time to complete needed projects well. If you prepare well, you should be able to sell it quickly in the current market, and for a great price. In order to make a listing successful, our team puts this marketing plan together in bite-size pieces:
1. Work with a Professional Home Stager. Your listing agent may offer to pay for this service. We do this as part of our marketing plan for all of our clients. The home stager can go through your property, rearrange furniture, relocate decor and offer you good tips for maximizing the beauty and functionality of your home. The stager can also recommend paint colors, flooring changes or new light fixtures that require a small investment, but reap the greatest return in the final sale. A staging meeting typically lasts 1-3 hours, and will leave you with some of the work completed, and a clear list of suggestions to make your home show in the best way possible.
2. Stage the Room You Want to Highlight the Most. Your staging consultant can help you select the right space. This room (or rooms) will be your first priority, and should be completed, even before tackling other parts of your home. Often this key space is the kitchen or main living area. A home in Fitchburg recently did this with their kitchen and great room. You can see these areas, and have a very favorable impression of the home. These first staged areas create an expectation and curiosity about the rest of the home.
3. Use a Professional Photographer to Capture Your Key Spaces. We include this service as part of our marketing plan, at no additional cost to our clients. Professional photographers know how to maximize the lighting, and choose the most appealing angles to capture your home. Once these initial photos are taken, you have a very good collection to begin advertising your listing.
4. Begin a "Coming Soon" Campaign to Give your Listing a Head Start. By sending out the initial photos, along with basic information about your property, you can generate interest, even before you've completed your staging plan. By the time you're ready to show the home, you'll already have interested buyers and agents ready to view your home.
5. Finish Staging Your Property. Using the plan you put together with a professional stager, complete each room of your home, making simple improvements that add to your home's appeal and value.
6. Complete a Second Round of Professional Photos. At this point, the photographer can return, and capture the rest of your home. You now have a complete collection of photos that display your home in its best light.
7. Begin the Showings. Now that everything is in place, you can expect to host many showings, and see offers come in for your property. If you've done your homework, and priced your home properly, you can expect this part of the process to move rapidly. It's likely that you'll have multiple buyers and offers to consider, as you negotiate the final sale price of your home.
We enjoy helping clients work through this process, and we've found it to be a highly successful way to market homes in Madison and Dane County. If you're considering selling, now is a perfect time to begin this process, plan ahead, and tackle any projects that will help you sell your home quickly and for the best possible price.
This article is published courtesy of: Dan Miller, REALTOR Mad City Dream Homes & RE/MAX Preferred